Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is the standard followed in the security knowledge industry to develop encrypted connections between the browser as well as the web server. This standard ensures that data privacy is maintained and that online transactions are protected from external attacks.
The following steps have to be followed to establish an SSL connection:
- The browser will connect to the web server which is secured by SSL.
- The browser will send a copy of the SSL certificate.
- The browser verifies if the SSL certificate is trustworthy. If trustworthy, the browser will send a message to the server requesting to establish an encrypted connection.
- The web server acknowledges and starts to build an SSL encrypted connection.
- The encrypted SSL communication begins between the browser and the web server.